Elinor L. Plumlee rescued Robert Bajadjieva from burning, Las Vegas, Nevada, November 2, 1971. Robert, 11 months, was alone in his mother’s apartment when fire broke out. Mrs. Plumlee, 28, cocktail waitress, and others were attracted by the smoke. When the apartment door was opened, it was discovered that flames extended downward from the ceiling just inside the opening. Although barefoot, Mrs. Plumlee put a dampened blanket over her head and entered the living room by running beneath the flames. The kitchen was completely afire, and furniture in the living room was burning. Mrs. Plumlee moved into the bedroom, where heat was intense and visibility poor. With some difficulty she located Robert in his crib. Feeling somewhat dizzy, she carried him into the living room and, stooping, ran beneath the spreading flames to the outside. Robert and Mrs. Plumlee recovered from burns they had sustained.
52367 – 590152367-5901