Effie Carrie Haugh saved Barbara L. Hughes from electric shock, St. Petersburg, Florida, April 20, 1934. Barbara, 3, with one hand grasped the end of a broken high-tension wire that had fallen on a concrete sidewalk and was thrown to the walk. She lay unconscious, retaining her grasp on the wire. Mrs. Haugh, 58, housewife, ran close to the walk and, standing on grass, took hold of Barbara’s bare elbow and gave a jerk but did not free her from the wire. She was shocked, jerked her hand back, and staggered for a moment. She then stepped onto the walk, cautiously grasped Barbara’s dress with one hand, and jerked her from the wire. Barbara quickly regained consciousness. She sustained serious burns on her hand and suffered from shock. She recovered. Mrs. Haugh suffered from nervous shock for eight weeks.
34111 – 286034111-2860