Edward J. Riley died rescuing Harry P. Byron from electric shock, Canoe Creek, Pennsylvania, June 14, 1932. Byron, 57, restaurant proprietor, who was trying to erect an aerial wire, tossed one end of the wire over an electric wire, which was charged with 6,900 volts. He grasped the loose wire with both hands, was shocked, and lay unconscious on moist ground, the wire dangling at his ankles. Riley, 45, pipefitter, got a board 3.5 feet long, and as he pushed the wire away from Byron, a slack part in the form of a spiral swung around his neck, and he fell and lay on the wire. He was removed after the current was turned off, but he could not be revived. Byron was disabled for several weeks but recovered.
32282 – 268932282-2689