Edward J. Power, Jr., died after attempting to rescue Edna M. Power from burning, Everett, Massachusetts, March 10, 2010. Bedfast, Edna, 80, was in her apartment, which was at the front of the second floor of her family’s 2.5-story house. Fire broke out at night on the structure’s first-floor front porch and spread into the house. Edna’s brother, Edward, 76, retired postal worker, who also was in the second-floor apartment, descended the stairs and saw the fire. As the first-floor tenants fled the building, Edward turned and went back up to the second floor. A police officer arrived and started to ascend the stairs. Seeing Edward emerge through the smoke on the second floor, the officer told him to leave the house, but Edward returned into the apartment. In rapidly deteriorating conditions, the officer fled the building. Firefighters responded shortly and, gaining entry to the structure through a rear door, found Edward, badly burned, on the floor near Edna’s bed. They removed him from the structure. He was taken to the hospital, where he died of burns and smoke inhalation a few hours later. Edna died at the scene.
83389 – 953283389-9532