Dwight A. Moore saved Kara M. Freeman from burning, Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, May 23, 2008. Freeman, 18, was asleep in her bedroom on the top floor of her family’s 2.5-story house after fire broke out at night in the kitchen and began to spread rapidly. After shouting to awaken her, Freeman’s mother fled the structure and attracted the attention of a neighbor, Moore, 33, welder. Moore entered the house through the front door. Learning Freeman’s location, he proceeded through dense smoke up the stairs to the second and attic levels. He alerted Freeman to the fire and, as she was confused, pushed her to the head of the stairs. She descended to the first floor and stumbled outside to safety. Moore followed her but encountered difficulty breathing on the second floor and returned to the attic for air. He then descended the stairs to the first floor and exited the house. Flames spread to the second and attic levels of the structure and destroyed it. Moore suffered smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene, but he recovered.
81292 – 927381292-9273