Douglas M. Espey helped to rescue Madeline M. Urquhart from burning, Parksville, British Columbia, July 30, 2002. Ms. Urquhart, 67, was inside her home, a unit of a one-story duplex, after fire erupted in the bedroom and spread to other rooms. Espey, 27, sheet metal worker, was visiting his grandparents, who lived nearby, when they became aware of the fire. Espey and his grandfather went to the scene, where they evacuated the tenant from the other unit. Looking through a window of Ms. Urquhart’s unit, they saw Ms. Urquhart amid flames in the living room. Espey and his grandfather responded to the living room door, requiring them to cross an attached carport, the roof of which was burning. Espey entered the living room through the door, which was open and through which smoke and flames issued. He grasped Ms. Urquhart, who was aflame, and took her to the carport, where he and his grandfather patted out the flames on her. The men then carried Ms. Urquhart to safety. She was hospitalized for treatment of serious burns.
76345 – 877676345-8776