David M. Geary helped to save Mary R. Waters from burning, Shepherdsville, Kentucky, January 26, 1995. Ms. Waters, 76, who required a walker, was in the kitchen of her one-story house after fire broke out in a nearby bedroom. Visiting in the neighborhood, Geary, 29, lawn care employee, was alerted to the fire and responded to the scene. Learning that Ms. Waters was still inside the burning house, Geary entered through the kitchen door and was forced to his hands and knees by the dense smoke, which afforded no visibility. Following her voice, he found Ms. Waters at the other end of the room but had to return outside for air. After wrapping his shirt over his face, Geary re-entered the house and returned to Ms. Waters. By grasp- ing and moving her walker, he guided Ms. Waters toward the door. When they were almost there, Geary again was forced outside for air. Others had arrived; Geary re-entered the house again and received assistance in taking Ms. Waters outside to safety. Ms. Waters was hospitalized three weeks for treatment of smoke inhalation. Geary also required hospital treatment for smoke inhalation, and he recovered.
69488 – 799169488-7991