David B. Stover helped to rescue Heather S. Peebles from burning, Waldo, Maine, September 21, 1996. Ms. Peebles, 18, was trapped by wreckage in the driver’s seat of a car after a highway accident in which the car left the highway, struck a tree, and caught fire. Stover, 49, retired business owner, was alerted to the situation at his nearby home and responded to the scene, taking a fire extinguisher. Upon his arrival, he found Ms. Peebles had been partially removed from the car by his son, who had discovered the accident; her foot remained caught in the burning interior of the car. Stover emptied the extinguisher into the car to put out some of the flames momentarily, then reached inside and freed Ms. Peebles’s foot. Stover and his son carried Ms. Peebles away from the car, which was shortly engulfed by flame. Ms. Peebles was hospitalized one month for treatment of second- and third-degree burns and other serious injuries.
71278 – 810371278-8103