David A. Cushey helped to rescue John D. Semple from burning, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, January 6, 2004. Semple, 49, was trapped in the debris of his house after an explosion of natural gas that had leaked into the structure. Much of the 1.5-story house, including the roof, collapsed into the basement, where Semple lay badly injured and burned, and fire broke out in the debris and spread. Driving nearby, a neighbor, Cushey, 31, federal air marshal, heard the explosion and responded to the scene. He entered an outside door to the basement and climbed through debris to reach Semple, as had another neighbor who responded. Cushey and the other man lifted furniture off Semple, freeing him, then carried him through the debris to the door. Able to walk, Semple exited the basement and fled with Cushey and the other man. By then, flames had spread to at least the far half of the pile of debris. Semple was hospitalized for treatment of multiple bone fractures and burns to his head and hands. Cushey sustained minor smoke inhalation, from which he recovered.
77405 – 883877405-8838