Danny R. Heaton helped to rescue a man from electrocution, Tacoma, Washington, June 27, 1987. A 22-year-old man was aflame atop a unit containing electrical equipment inside a substation. He called for help. Heaton, 28, who lived nearby, ran to the substation and scaled a 13-foot-high gate to gain access to the unit. He then climbed the unit, approached the man, and began to pull off his burning clothing although Heaton’s own clothing caught fire in the process. After moving the man toward the edge of the unit, Heaton came into contact with a live component and was shocked; he collapsed. Removed by rescue personnel, Heaton and the man required hospitalization for their injuries, Heaton’s including second- and third-degree bums to 30 percent of his body and a fractured skull.
62374 – 723662374-7236