Daniel W. Lemon saved Olivia E. Schuller from burning, Minneapolis, Minnesota, September 12, 2009. Olivia, 10, was inside a first-floor bedroom of her father’s house when natural gas that had leaked into the structure ignited and exploded. The house was knocked off its foundation, and falling debris pinned Olivia to the floor. Flames erupted throughout the wreckage, including the room in which Olivia lay. Those responding from the neighborhood included Lemon, 35, store manager, who was visiting a friend. Hearing screams from the bedroom, he approached one of its windows, started to remove debris, and saw Olivia just inside the room. Despite flames in that room, Lemon entered through the window, freed Olivia, and pulled her to the window. A neighbor who had responded joined him there and helped in taking Olivia to safety. Just after Lemon cleared the room, flames grew quickly to engulf it. Olivia required hospitalization for injuries received in the explosion, and she recovered.
83097 – 943483097-9434