Daniel Schneider saved Ashley and Katherine DeBellefeuille from burning, Kamloops, British Columbia, March 11, 1991. Ashley, 4, and her sister, Katherine, 11, were in bed in the master bedroom of their family’s house, which had been set afire. A neighbor, Schneider, 34, equipment operator, saw smoke issuing from the house and went to the scene. He crawled part way inside the house but withdrew because of dense smoke, then broke out the window to the master bedroom and saw the girls. After leaning through the window in an unsuccessful attempt to pull the girls to him, Schneider climbed through the window into the house. He picked Ashley up off the bed and handed her out to others, then picked up Katherine and removed her in the same fashion. As flames entered the bedroom through its open door, Schneider himself then exited the house through the window. Taken to the hospital, Ashley and Katherine both died of causes unrelated to the fire.
67565 – 773867565-7738