Daniel E. Murray rescued Herbert R. Mercer from electric shock, Canton, Ohio, June 27, 1972. While Mercer, 59, and Murray, apprentice electrician, 23, were working on roof joists of a building under construction, the former received an electric shock when a conduit he was holding touched a high-voltage wire. The current paralyzed Mercer; and he collapsed across the conduit, which remained in contact with the power line, and across roof joists 40 feet above a concrete walk. Murray knocked the conduit free of its contact, receiving an electric shock that rendered him unconscious. Each man retained his position on the roof. Within seconds, Murray had revived and Mercer had recovered from his paralysis. Neither suffered lasting ill effects.
53828 – 612153828-6121