Dan Smith Vail died attempting to save Mabel R. Vail from burning, Booneville, Mississippi, December 21, 1985. Mrs. Vail, 68, was asleep in a first-floor bedroom of her house when fire broke out in a nearby utility room and spread. All other occupants of the house, including Mrs. Vail’s son, Dan Smith Vail, 34, retail manager, were able to escape. When Mrs. Vail did not emerge from the house, Vail broke out a window to her smoke-filled bedroom and crawled through it. Firemen later found their bodies in the bedroom; both had died of smoke inhalation.
60847 – 711260847-7112