Curtis L. Brewer saved Leonard M. Gray, Sr., from burning, Ivor, Virginia, December 21, 2004. At night, Gray, 50, who was partially paralyzed, was in a bedroom of a one-story house when he became aware of a chimney fire in the structure that sent flames into the bedroom and smoke throughout the house. With his son’s help, he reached the hall adjacent to the living room. Brewer, 42, mechanic, was nearby, en route to work, when he saw flames and smoke issuing from the house. He stopped at the scene and learned that Gray was still inside. Although recovering from several broken ribs, sustained in an accident a month earlier, Brewer entered the house, through the front door. Visibility was nil in the living room, and heat was intense. Brewer proceeded, calling out for Gray, and found him in the hall. With difficulty, as Gray outweighed him, Brewer assisted Gray to a side door, which was accessed by a handicap ramp. Another man met them there and took Gray to safety. Nearly exhausted, Brewer required hospital treatment for smoke inhalation. He recovered.
78232 – 898178232-8981