Courtney A. Frederick rescued Ciera S. Davis from burning, Martinsville, Indiana, May 13, 2004. Ciera, 2, was spending the night with members of her extended family in a one-floor apartment that adjoined a large barn. Early in the morning, leaking propane in the structure exploded, causing major collapse of the apartment unit and eruption of flames, which grew and spread quickly. Frederick, 28, Ciera’s cousin, escaped the building with other family members. A man who responded to the scene saw Ciera in the apartment living room, but she was beyond his grasp as he reached through a window for her. Although she had been burned in the explosion, Frederick re-entered the structure, through a hole that had been created in one of the walls. She crossed the living room, which was on fire, and approached Ciera, having to reach through flames to grasp her. Retracing her steps, Frederick carried Ciera outside to safety. Flames engulfed the apartment, which was destroyed, as was a portion of the barn. Ciera and Frederick required hospitalization for treatment of their burns, Frederick’s including third-degree to her upper and lower extremities. They recovered.
77707 – 888577707-8885