Clinton D. Alexander saved Tashana M. Curtis and Daequan A. Greene from burning, Far Rockaway, New York, April 14, 1994. Ms. Curtis, 20, and her son, Daequan, 2, were in their apartment on the top floor of a four-story building when fire broke out in the unit’s kitchen. Alexander, 21, stock clerk, who lived nearby, saw smoke and flames issuing from the apartment’s kitchen window and heard Ms. Curtis calling for help. He entered the building and went to the fourth floor, where he and others kicked open the apartment’s locked door. Despite being unfamiliar with the layout of the apartment and the heavy, black smoke which made it difficult to see, Alexander entered the unit. Following Ms. Curtis’s calls for help, he crawled past the burning kitchen and located Ms. Curtis and Daequan in a bedroom. Alexander carried Daequan out of the apartment, then re-entered and crawled back to the bedroom for Ms. Curtis. He took her by the arm and led her out of the apartment to safety. Alexander and Daequan both required hospital treatment for smoke inhalation, and they recovered.
68705 – 790168705-7901