Clifton Anthony saved Matthew Arrigoni from burning, Las Vegas, Nevada, December 19, 2003. In early morning, Matthew, 6 months old, was in a playpen in the living room of his parents’ apartment after fire broke out in the adjoining kitchen and filled the living room with dense smoke. Anthony, 44, cashier, who lived next door, was asleep when alerted to the fire by Matthew’s mother after she escaped the unit through a window. Responding immediately, Anthony kicked in the front door of the burning apartment and took a few steps into the living room. He was repulsed by the smoke, which offered little or no visibility, and retreated for fresh air. Re-entering, Anthony crawled to the playpen, taking direction from Matthew’s mother. He found the infant, picked him up, and took him outside to safety. Neither was injured.
77419 – 893477419-8934