Clayton W. Steele helped attempt to save John A. Eisenzimmer from suffocation, New Rockford, North Dakota, June 21, 1984. Eisenzimmer, 49, was using muriatic acid to clean his well when he was overcome by toxic fumes in his basement. A man who had been helping Eisenzimmer telephoned Steele, a neighbor, for help. Steele, 59, farmer, entered the basement for Eisenzimmer and began to pull him up the stairs when he felt dizzy. The other man started to descend the stairs for Eisenzimmer, and he and Steele were both overcome. Arriving ambulance crew members removed the three men. Steele was hospitalized for toxic gas exposure and he recovered, but Eisenzimmer and the other man died.
60112 – 691760112-6917