Christopher Sims rescued Betty F. Horton from burning, Gadsden, Alabama, March 29, 1994. Ms. Horton, 46, was in a bedroom of her one-story house after fire broke out in that room. At work in the neighborhood, Sims, 24, service mechanic, saw smoke issuing from the house and responded to the scene, where he learned that Ms. Horton was inside. Hearing Ms. Horton moan, Sims entered the house and crawled across the living room through dense smoke, which precluded visibility. He found Ms. Horton on the floor, in the doorway to the bedroom. Sims stood, then, grasping Ms. Horton, walked back to the door, dragging her, and exited the house with her. Ms. Horton required hospitalization for her burns. Sims was treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation, and he recovered.
68663 – 790368663-7903