Christopher Klemfuss rescued Marjorie G. Brill from burning, Colonie, New York, November 15, 1990. Mrs. Brill, 80, lay unconscious on the floor of the kitchen in her one-story house after fire broke out in the adjacent living room. A neighbor, Klemfuss, 30, community residence aid, went to the burning house after seeing smoke and learned that Mrs. Brill was still inside. As flames issued from its front windows, Klemfuss went to the rear of the house, where he broke open the back door. Despite dense smoke and blistering heat, Klemfuss entered the kitchen, crouching, and went to Mrs. Brill. He grasped her and dragged her from the house as the fire department arrived. Mrs. Brill was hospitalized for severe burns and died the next day. Klemfuss required hospital treatment for minor smoke inhalation and first- and second-degree burns, including those to his right shoulder and the top of his head. He recovered.
65453 – 759065453-7590