Christopher J. Ederer rescued Matthew P. Moore from burning, Kirkwood, Missouri, July 3, 1990. Matthew, 2, was in a bedroom of his family’s one- story house when fire broke out in a nearby room and filled the house with dense smoke. Ederer, 31, production manager, was driving through the neighborhood when he saw smoke and flames issuing from the house. He ran to Matthew’s bedroom window, where several neighbors had gathered, and learned that Matthew was still inside. Doused with water from a garden hose, Ederer climbed through the window into the bedroom, in which visibility was precluded by the dense smoke. Heat inside the room was blistering. Ederer crawled to Matthew’s bed, picked Matthew up, and ran back to the window with him. He handed Matthew, who was not breathing, outside to another man, who revived him. Ederer then exited through the window. Matthew was hospitalized six days for severe smoke inhalation, and he recovered. Ederer recovered from a burn to his right ear.
65119 – 751265119-7512