Cheryl Ann Iben saved Micheal W. Mayer from burning, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, January 11, 1991. Micheal, 4, was inside his family’s house when fire erupted on the first floor and filled the house with smoke. A neighbor, Mrs. Iben, 36, factory worker, saw smoke, then flames, issuing from the house and ran to it; she approached the front door, which was open, and heard Micheal crying. Despite growing flames, which extended to the ceiling of the living room, and heavy smoke, which precluded visibility, Mrs. Iben entered the house through the front door and crawled into the living room. Guided by the sound of Micheal’s voice, Mrs. Iben found him under a table about 10 feet from the door. She grasped him and crawled back to the door, pulling him. They exited to safety.
65563 – 760865563-7608