Charles Nanowsky, 37, fruit store proprietor, died rescuing 0. C. Williams, 14, schoolboy, from electric shock, Sarasota, Florida, September 28, 1929. While running on a wet concrete sidewalk in darkness, Williams got close to a wire carrying an electric current of 2,300 volts that dangled from a pole to the sidewalk. He was shocked and fell unconscious to the walk. The wire was four feet above his head, and it flashed at points where it was in contact with the ground. Nanowsky ran to a point close to Williams and with a wooden chair pushed the wire farther from him. As Nanowsky was taking a step or two and pushing the wire, the wire slipped over the back of the chair to his wrists, and he fell unconscious on the wire. Williams was dragged farther from the wire by two men, and he revived. Electricians wearing rubber gloves removed Nanowsky from the wire, but he could not be revived.
30620 – 257830620-2578