Chad J. Tolstedt helped to save Timothy D. Kundrat from burning, Monroe, Michigan, June 30, 2009. Kundrat, 54, was in the living room on the first floor of his two-story apartment after fire broke out in that room at night. Tolstedt, 33, police officer, was dispatched to the scene, where he learned that Kundrat was inside the unit. He kicked open the front door, entered, and, hearing Kundrat, started to crawl through a smoke-filled hall that extended 15 feet to the living room. Standing to advance, Tolstedt took in too much smoke and had to retreat to the front door for air. He re-entered the apartment, walking crouched over, and struggled against the smoke and intense heat to reach the living room. Another responding officer entered the apartment at about that time and, yelling to Tolstedt, also made his way, crawling, through the hall to the living room, where he joined Tolstedt at Kundrat. Each grasping Kundrat by a hand, the officers dragged him to the front door and outside to safety. Kundrat was taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries. Tolstedt recovered from inhaling smoke.
82364 – 935982364-9359