Carlton Green saved Adam K. Catania from burning, Walla Walla, Washington, July 16, 2007. Adam, 1, lay unconscious in the hall on the second floor of his family’s two-story apartment after fire broke out in a bedroom on that floor. Driving nearby, Green, 40, billing employee, stopped at the scene after seeing smoke issue from a second-floor window. He entered the apartment and learned from Adam’s brother that Adam was on the second floor. Green attempted twice to climb the stairs to the second floor, but he was repulsed by dense smoke and intense heat both times. Using a wet towel that he obtained from the kitchen for use as a mask, Green crawled up the stairs and started through the hall. Finding Adam on the floor, he picked him up and carried him downstairs and outside to safety. Adam and Green were both taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, and they recovered.
80854 – 923480854-9234