Camron Erway saved Lawrence D. Frizell from burning, Larned, Kansas, December 10, 2004. At night, Frizell, 49, fell asleep in the living room of the single-story house in which he lived. Fire broke out in that room and filled it with dense smoke. A neighbor driving near the scene, Erway, 33, financial planner, discovered the fire and reported it. Despite flames issuing from the living room windows, Erway approached the house, opened the front door, and, leaning inside, shouted for any occupants. He heard moaning. Erway entered the house and immediately went to his hands and knees in the dense smoke and intense heat. Following the sound of the moaning, he advanced toward Frizell, who lay unconscious on the floor about 10 feet from the door. As a smoldering upholstered chair blocked Erway’s path, he pushed it out of the way. He then grasped Frizell by his jacket and, retracing his course, dragged him to the door, then outside to safety as flames spread in the living room. Frizell was hospitalized overnight for treatment of smoke inhalation, and he recovered.
78185 – 893278185-8932