Brian Michael Rebus helped to save Frank B. Andrews from drowning, East Coulee, Alberta, June 25, 1987. Andrews, 27, was inside a sewer system lift station, operating a pump to evacuate ground water which had flooded it. Stricken by carbon monoxide fumes from the pump, he lost consciousness and fell face down into the water. Rebus, 32, a laborer who was working outside the shaft, immediately climbed down a ladder to Andrews and pulled him out of the water. One of the nearby workers who had been alerted threw a hose into the shaft, which Rebus attempted, without success, to tie around Andrews; another worker then lowered a vinyl line, and Rebus tied it around Andrews’s chest. While others outside the shaft pulled Andrews to the surface, Rebus followed on the ladder, supporting him. Out of the shaft, Andrews was revived. Both he and Rebus were hospitalized for carbon monoxide inhalation, and they recovered.
63205 – 730063205-7300