Bill Baker, Jr., saved James S. Swinnie, Alice C. Moody, and Georgia D.Dixon from burning, Brunswick, Georgia, April 16, 1992. Swinnie, 60, and his sister, Mrs. Moody, 62, were with their mother, Mrs. Dixon, 81, inside the mother’s one-story, wooden house when fire broke out in one of the bedrooms. Driving by, Baker, 49, custodian, saw smoke issuing from the house and stopped at the scene. Told by a neighbor that the house was occupied, Baker kicked open the front door and entered. He crawled through thick smoke and intense heat into the living room, where he found Swinnie lying on the floor. Baker pulled Swinnie to the front door, then crawled further into the house and found Mrs. Moody in an adjoining room. He took her outside, then entered the house again and searched for Mrs. Dixon, whom he found in a bedroom. He dragged her to safety. Swinnie, Mrs. Moody, and Mrs. Dixon were treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation, and they recovered. Baker developed discomfort in his lungs but recovered in two days.
66784 – 771166784-7711