Bernard Dennison saved Beatrice H. and Lewis Wexler from suffocation, Silver Spring, Maryland, June 15, 1970. At night fire broke out in a one-story dwelling in a bedroom adjoining that occupied by Mrs. Wexler, 54, who was a paralyzed invalid and her husband, Wexler, 57. Dense acrid smoke filled the bedroom and penetrated to other rooms as Wexler attempted in vain to put out the flames and then, overcome by smoke he had inhaled, fell unconscious on the living-room floor. Dennison, 51, patent investigator, a neighbor, was attracted and ran to the dwelling. He entered the living room and made his way to Mrs. Wexler as the flames spread in the adjoining bedroom. Coughing and choking from the smoke, Dennison carried Mrs. Wexler to the living room and thence from the dwelling. After getting fresh air, Dennison again entered the living room. The increased smoke made Dennison cough violently and he experienced acute shortness of breath, but he succeeded in dragging Wexler out of the dwelling. Mrs. Wexler and her husband, who was revived, recovered from effects of the smoke.
51542 – 573551542-5735