Benjamin A. Adams, 35, locomotive fireman, rescued Asher L. Laudenslager, 37, carpenter, from electric shock, Sunbury, Pennsylvania, October 22, 1929. Laudenslager got in contact with one of two charged wires which had broken and fallen to the street. Each wire carried a current of 2,300 volts. Laudenslager was shocked into unconsciousness and fell on his back on the street. The wires jumped, and sparks appeared at points where they came in contact with the street, which was wet from rain. Adams started to walk on the street toward Laudenslager and sustained a slight shock. He then ran to his home nearby and got a broom. One wire was then in contact with one of Laudenslager’s hands, and the other was in contact with his body. It was still raining. Holding the broom with both hands, Adams went close to Laudenslager and tried to knock the wires away from him. He sustained a shock and staggered backward and to his knees. Although warned, he again struck the wires. He sustained a slight shock in his arms and was knocked backward. He then went to within two feet of Laudenslager and with the broom pushed the wires from him. Laudenslager died two days later from burns. Adams sustained slight injuries that disabled him for four days.
29877 – 243629877-2436