Barry D. Craggy attempted to save Kathleen Cole from suffocation, Burlington, Ontario, March 30, 1998. Ms. Cole, 75, was in her home after fire erupted in the living room. A neighbor, Craggy, 54, tile and marble contractor, was alerted by his wife to the fire, and he went to the scene. As the front door to the house was locked, Craggy forced entry with an ax. By then, smoke had filled the living room, obscuring visibility except for a narrow band at the floor. Craggy lay on the floor and, below the smoke, saw Ms. Cole, who was lying on the living room floor. He crawled to her, grasped her by her hands, then crawled back to the front door, pulling her. Craggy’s wife then helped him carry Ms. Cole onto the lawn, where Craggy attempted to revive her. Ms. Cole was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead of smoke inhalation. Craggy sustained a cut on his hand from broken glass, and he recovered.
72615 – 829772615-8297