Arthur Lange attempted to save Maude Morrissey from burning, Minco, Oklahoma, February 6, 1931. While Mrs. Morrissey, 25, was pouring kerosene into a stove in her kitchen, the can of kerosene exploded, causing fire on the ceiling and walls. Mrs. Morrissey was thrown on her back to the floor. Lange, 70, retired farmer, was at the open door of the kitchen at the time of the explosion. He ran outside and then put out slight flames on the clothing of a woman who also had run out of the kitchen. Hearing Mrs. Morrissey’s cries, Lange went to the door. As he was about to enter, a lamp exploded. Flames were issuing from near the top of the door. Lange ran seven feet into the room, stooped, took hold of Mrs. Morrissey, and dragged her to the door. His face and head on one side were scorching, and he ran outside and threw off his cap, which was burning. Returning to the doorway, he dragged Mrs. Morrissey outside. Her clothing was entirely burned, and her flesh had sloughed off in Lange’s hands. Mrs. Morrissey died nine hours later from burns. Lange sustained slight burns on his hand, face, head, and neck but recovered.
30968 – 258230968-2582