Arthur Glennon Battreal rescued Shawn F. and Doris J. Smith from burning, St. Louis, Missouri, October 4, 1970. In early morning, fire broke out in the living room of a one-story prefabricated dwelling in which Shawn, 2, and his mother, 40, were asleep in separate bedrooms. Mrs. Smith was awakened and ran to get Shawn. Among neighbors attracted was Battreal, 29, machine maintenance man, who ran to the dwelling and kicked open the front door. Mrs. Smith had carried Shawn from his room when there was a brief increase in heat and fire conditions; and she collapsed in the hall. Battreal entered the living room and in the dense smoke encountered a smoldering easy chair, burning his hands slightly. After returning outside briefly, he made his way to the hall and found Mrs. Smith and Shawn. Battreal carried Shawn from the dwelling. Although he was having difficulty breathing, Battreal returned to Mrs. Smith. He lifted her to her feet and, passing within two feet of the flames, took her outside. Shawn and Mrs. Smith were hospitalized for burns they had received. They recovered.
51748 – 578751748-5787