Allen Chadwick Harris saved Calvin E. Coleman from burning, Nashville, Tennessee, January 28, 2009. Calvin, 3, was asleep in a first-floor bedroom of his family’s house after fire broke out in a nearby bedroom and filled the floor with dense smoke. A neighbor, Harris, 24, musician, was returning home when he came upon the fire. Learning from Calvin’s family members that Calvin was still in the house, Harris attempted entry through the front door but was repelled by the smoke. He then approached a window of the room in which Calvin was sleeping and with others broke it out. Boosted up to the window by the others, Harris climbed through it and entered the smoke-filled room. Going to his hands and knees and keeping his eyes closed against the smoke and heat, Harris searched the room for Calvin, having to retreat to the window for air repeatedly. On hearing Calvin moan, Harris penetrated the room farther and found him on the floor. Harris picked him up and, momentarily disoriented, crawled back to the window. He handed Calvin out to the others and then crawled outside the window to safety. Calvin was hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation, and Harris also received hospital treatment for smoke inhalation. They recovered.
81968 – 932481968-9324