Alexander Williams saved Grady E. Jones, Jr., from burning, Purvis, Mississippi, March 11, 1991. Grady, 5 months old, was in a bedroom of his mother’s one-story house when fire erupted in a bedroom across the hall and filled the house with dense smoke. Williams, 34, drove upon the scene and learned from neighbors that Grady was still inside the burning house. Williams entered the house through its living room and crawled to the bedrooms, but intense heat forced him to withdraw. He then entered Grady’s bedroom through a broken window and, unable to see because of dense smoke, crawled on the floor, groping for the baby. Williams found him, returned to the window, and handed him out to others before exiting through the window himself. Both Grady and Williams were hospitalized for treatment of severe smoke inhalation, Williams for four days.
65737 – 764465737-7644