Akasha Witchey Traver rescued Willow W. Scorpius from burning, Hot Springs, Virginia, January 15, 2009. At night, Willow, 1, was in her crib in a bedroom on the first floor of her family’s house after an accidental fire broke out in that room, near the crib. Her aunt, Akasha, 14, student, and other family members discovered the fire. Akasha entered the bedroom, in which dense smoke precluded visibility of everything except the flames, and attempted to get to the crib, but she stumbled and fell. Repelled by deteriorating conditions, she left the bedroom, but she re-entered after a moment and went to the crib, which was by then aflame. Akasha took Willow from the crib and carried her outside. Flames spread throughout the structure, destroying it. Willow and Akasha were taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns, and they recovered.
82100 – 937182100-9371